Tuesday, May 5, 2009

How not to sell your products by Nikon Philippines

I recently took up photography as a hobby.

To learn more about this new hobby; I talked to people who are into photography, I took lessons in basic photography and I try to learn photography from people with more experience.

I recently visited WPPP (Weddings and Portrait Photographers of the Philippines) Photo Congress 2009 from May 4-6, 2009 at Megatrade Hall B at SM Megamall in Manila Philippines. I was there to visit and learn more about photography by talking to the different trade suppliers who are exhibiting at this event.

Most of the trade exhibitors were happy and willing to discuss the advantages of their products on display except people at the Nikon booth.

To say I was disappointed at their behavior is putting it mildly. I have never walked around a whole booth 2x without anyone coming up to me and asking if there is anything they can help me with; except at Nikon booth at WPPP 2009 photo congress.

It seems to me that the people sitting inside Nikon booth with the Nikon Pro shirts believe in their products so much that their static product displays will eventually sell themselves even without them doing anything at all except sit and chat among themselves.

Directly opposite Nikon booth is Canon booth which was full of people since Canon people I believe were more customer-oriented.

Now I fully understand why Nikon grey market in the Philippines is a thriving industry.

I am a Sales and Marketing professional and our company has exhibited at AFEX, WOFEX, Tuna Congress, CCAP conference, Bakery Fair and I know for a fact that is NOT how sales and marketing people should act in a trade show. I have been a visitor to AHR Expo in the US, IKK in Germany, Euroshop in Germany, China Refrigeration in Shanghai and Guangzhou, Bangkok Refrigeration Show in Bangkok, FHA in Singapore, HOFEX in Hong Kong, FHC in Shanghai and none were as disappointing as Nikon booth in WPPP 2009 photo congress.

On the opposite side of the scale; the people at Echostore / Focus One Marketing booth were amazing. They are the official distributors of Think Tank Photo products.

Stephen Chu of Focus One Marketing did an amazing job explaining to me the advantages of Think Tank Photo products eventhough I was just browsing their product displays and asking for brochures. He was even the one doing the demo on their Belly Dancer harness system. Now, I have decided that I will be buying and using Think Tank Photo products because of their local representatives.

Again, I got nothing except deep sigh.....

5 comments:

philwebsupport said...

nice one sir

philwebsupport said...

can u add my link http://breakingnewsworld.blogspot.com/

on your blog. i think i am a fan of you right now. hehehe

Versatile Photography said...

I was a delegate at the Photo Congress. I do have the same sentiments. I felt that the Nikon reps were a little too passive. They could have been more enthusiastic or more aggressive in promoting their products like the Canon people, which is a shame because I am a Nikon user. I believe in Nikon products. The speakers were very good. I believe Mike Larson was very good and very inspiring.

Admin said...

I wasn't there but I know that there is no Nikon Philippines office. Nikon in the Philippines is being handled by Columbia Marketing, a distributor.

So the customer service level may not be really there.

However, that's no excuse not to have poor customer service.

Unknown said...

Hi Pepin:)

Yes you're right....they are Columbia Digital Sales Company BUT I had to say/write Nikon Philippines since they used Nikon signages and logos in their booth.